Spring time weather has been teasing me these last couples day, causing visions of beaches to dance through my head. If you’re in need of some tropical feels this February as much as I am, have yourself a little get together centered around a favorite tropical drink: the margarita! This party is colorful and fun, but also quick and easy to throw together.
For this shindig I decided to turn the coffee table into the bar! I started by laying out my sand cloud acid wash towel as a table cloth. The pinks and purples evoke thoughts of laying out on a warm sandy beach, listening to waves crash against the shore. The table was covered with drinks and glasses, but the real center piece was a bright, fresh flower bouquet.
To keep the fun vibe going, I also got balloons to cover the floor and and ceiling! A combination of pink, yellow, and lime green helium balloons filled the room, while lime green balloons dotted the floor. (Hint: balloons make fun props when the dancing begins). I chose these colors because, to me, they evoke thoughts of margs, but chose any colors you find fun!
Here’s where the real party begins. Margaritas can be served in so many different ways, frozen, on the rocks, salt on the rim, strawberry flavored, mango flavored: the list could go on! I’m usually big on frozen strawberry margaritas, especially in the summer time. But for tonight, I chose to keep it simple with Jose silver tequila, fresh limes, and Powell and Mahoney craft cocktail mix. Not only is this the tastiest margarita mix (seriously, this mix did not have me missing a frozen marg), their website also has amazing cocktail recipes.
Variety is always good at parties, so in addition to margaritas, I made sangria. If you know me, you know I LOVE to make sangria. My mom has a delicious recipe that is guaranteed to please. In a punch bowl, combine a 1.5 L bottle of sweet red or red blend wine and fruit. Apples, oranges, and grapes are pretty standard, but you can really mix in what ever you like! Then add Bacardi white rum and pomegranate juice to taste, depending on how sweet you’d like it.
You can’t have guests sipping on margs and sangria all night without filling their stomachs first! We made delicious vegetarian enchiladas. These are a great party dish because you can prep them ahead of time, and then throw them in the oven when the time comes!
Black Bean and Cheese Enchiladas with Ranchero Sauce
- 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 3 thinly sliced green onions
- 12 corn tortillas
- light sour cream
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- cooking spray
- preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit.
- Combine chiles and 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain chiles in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add onion, saute 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium, add garlic and salt. Cook 5 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Add the broth, oregano, tomato paste, and cumin. Cook for 8 minutes or until thickened. Poor mixture into a blender, add the chiles and reserved liquid. Blend until smooth, then stir in the lime juice and red pepper. Spread 1/2 of the sauce in a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine the beans, 1 cup of cheese, and half the green onions in a bowl. Warm the tortillas (typically there are instructions on tortilla packaging on the best way to warm). Spoon 3 tablespoons of bean mixture in the center of each tortilla, roll them up. Place, seam side down, in the baking dish.
- Top the tortillas with the remaining sauce and cheese, bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with green onions and serve with sour cream. Enjoy!
Here’s to tequila, limes, and good times. Enjoy your taste of summer this February!